Thursday 20 September 2012

More Artist Scarves

Donald Hamilton Fraser 1929 - 2009


Donald Hamilton Fraser for The Genius of Venice exhibition at The Royal Academy, 1983/4

Born in London, Donald Hamilton Fraser studied at St. Martin’s School of Art (1949-52).
The ballet and landscape were common themes in Donald’s work, which was largely figurative and influenced by the School of Paris, where he studied from 1953-1954. He taught at the Royal College of Art from 1957-83 and was elected RA in 1985.

The scarf pictured above was designed by Donald for The Genius of Venice exhibition that opened at The Royal Academy of Arts in 1983. The central image of the harlequin was taken from a hand painted valentine's card that he had made for his wife. Apparently he made one for her every year. I do remember that we had to take great care of it and return it to her safe and sound.

Abstract by Donald Hamilton Fraser, early 1980s

 Donald Hamilton Fraser was a very kind and gentle man and a wonderful colourist. He visited us at Beckford on a number of occasions and my father got on with him particularly well. He lived at Henley on Thames in a beautiful house next door to the Leander Club and the year that my brother Charles was rowing at Henley in the final of the under 18s, he invited our family for a delicious lunch before we watched the race in the afternoon. My brother's crew were beaten but this in no way diminished a wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your blogg.I am just starting designing scarves and I have a question to make. I'm a little lost on how I should send the design to be printed. You said you paint the parts by hand first and then you put it together in photoshop. It's there something that I should know that the printer will want from my design? Are there specifications to follow?. I'll be very grateful if you send me an answer.

    ReplyDelete